Sunday, June 22, 2008

Three Restaurants


Kindee Thai, Spill the Wine, and al Vento were my three new (to me) restaurants this weekend. I should probably mention that my criteria for a great place is not necessarily the quality of the food. Atmosphere is at the top of my list (architects can't help it). Then having more than 1 vegetarian option and more than 1 good (dark and/or local) beer on tap. I especially appreciate good lighting - cool fixtures and not too bright. I'm sure my friends are tired of me complaining about restaurants being too well-lit. These 3 places all had good atmosphere in their own ways, and I liked them all well enough to recommend.

Kindee is the new place across the street from the Guthrie. The wording on the sign kind of looks like "skin deep" so the first time I walked by I thought it was a salon. Not the case. It's actually a modern Thai restaurant designed by a Thai architect named Jiroj Ittiwetchai. The space is smaller than I expected, but I loved the light fixtures, wall hangings, modern chairs, and concrete floor. There is a bar that looks big enough to sit at, but is not used for seating. We decided to just try the appetizers and desserts (often my preferred combo). Tab loved the mango sticky rice. The fried bananas with chocolate sauce were excellent. The spring roll was only ok. No beers on tap, but they do have Tiger and Singha. I'm sure I'll be back since it is so convenient to the theater.

Spill the Wine has been around for awhile, but I've been reluctant to try it because I thought their website looked weird for some reason. Tab was there for the first time recently and reported back that it was great so we went for dinner with Gretchen and Izy. The atmosphere is nice and there is a bar held up by big wine barrels that is a cool feature. I think we only saw 2 men in the whole place so the decor and selection is apparently attracting mainly women. Wine is still not my favorite thing, but I do enjoy trying flights. They had 3 flight choices; one included an excellent Malbec (Gascon from Argentina? I have to start writing these things down) that we all loved. Side note about beer: Summit is on tap but not much else. We tried the salmon cakes, margherita pizza, risotto, poached pear salad, and grilled tuna salad. Try a salad if you go.

From the rest of Friday until Sunday evening, I don't think I tried anything new - not to say that nothing interesting happened, you just don't get to read about it in my blog. Tonight, my mom and her friend Jo and I went to al Vento in South Mpls. I've been meaning to try this place for quite awhile especially since there is a Happenings book coupon for it, but since it is really not on my way to anywhere, it took me until today - the beginning of summer and perfect evening to sit outside - to get there. The indoor restaurant is pretty small but looked cozy as we walked through to the patio. Walled from the street with planter boxes filled with flowers, I really liked the outdoor atmosphere. The food was great too - very real southern Italian (no drinks tonight so didn't even check the options). I especially liked the bruschetta sampler and the rhubarb napolean dessert. Almost anything made with rhubarb becomes my immediate favorite but this layered pastry was excellent. Apparently the menu changes daily so this place could be new to you everytime!


No comments: