Friday, October 3, 2008

Atmosphere


This post is about New to Me restaurant atmosphere worth checking out, not the concert tickets that Tab and I failed to get before the second show sold out this week. Lately we have been too focused on social activism (see First Fundraiser and CANtastrophe) to keep on top of all upcoming social activities. 

Not to say we've given up all social planning; we gathered for a baby shower for Mark and Amy at (new to most) Barrio at 9th & Nicollet this week. The excellent atmosphere reminded me of Barcelona: long and narrow space, red walls, dark with tasteful lighting. We skipped the house specialty tequila shots and compadres this time, but Mark and I enjoyed the tasty cocktails (see photo of us with Old Cubans and Cassie) while the others had non-alcoholic drinks unlike any Shirley Temples I've ever seen. Let's just say we hope Amy's drink was N/A - the glass was rather fancy. None of the food is on a happy hour special, but I'd still recommend the small plate of mahi mahi tacos for $3.50. Another great feature is that you can reserve a table!

Last week I also enjoyed a New to Me restaurant, Obento-Ya, my favorite since discovering Nameste. Stylish and small, this place is a gem in a tiny commercial district on Como & 15th Ave. SE. Ryan and I enjoyed the sushi, robata (do not skip the Japanese pumpkin skewer), and katsu. I can't wait to go back for the vegetable bento. Prices are super reasonable and service is good. I wish I could go there right now, but the only drawback to my new favorite restaurant is that it closes at 9:00 and is not open Sunday. They do have happy hour M-S 5:00-7:00 so just one more reason to go back tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anginator said...

excellent, a restaurant recommendation totally (well, if not totally, essentially) in my neighborhood. we're there.

Unknown said...

i love the black berry mojito! next time, when my boss gives me less work, i will hit up the 'compadres' night for sure!